Chulalongkorn University, as the country’s first university, continues to uphold the royal intent of HMKing Chulalongkorn (RAMA V) and HM King Vajiravudh (RAMA VI) to be the “cornerstone of the capital city,” while aspiring towards sustainably becoming a world-class university. The university was originally founded during King Chulalongkorn’s reign as a school for training royal pages and civil servants in 1899 (B.E. 2442) at the Grand Palace of Thailand. It was later established as a national university in 1917, making it the oldest institute of higher education in Thailand. During the reign of Chulalongkorn’s son, King Vajiravudh, the Royal Pages School became the Civil Service College of King Chulalongkorn. The Rockefeller Foundation was instrumental in helping the college form its academic foundation. On 26 March 1917, King Vajiravudh renamed the college “Chulalongkorn University”
Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University
"Marking the 102nd Anniversary of Chulalongkorn University,"
Chulalongkorn Medical Journal: Vol. 63:
3, Article 1.
Available at: https://digital.car.chula.ac.th/clmjournal/vol63/iss3/1